Dancing with the sounds, rhyme and rhythm of words, Suzanne creates poetry, jokes and funny announcements for children. Mainly silly, seldom serious and sometimes absoloute nonsense! Occasionally she creates poems and jokes for the ‘gro-nups’ too.
Her work has been placed in competitions and published in anthologies.
- In 2017 the award winning Emma Press published Suzanne’s poem ‘The Hungry Galactic Plughole’ in ‘Watcher of the Skies – Poems About Space and Aliens’.
- ‘Now That I’m Headless’ was selected for the forthcoming Emma Press anthology, ‘The Head That Wears a Crown – Poems About Kings and Queens’, due to be published in 2018.
- ‘Hiding Under the Cover’ was shortlisted for the National Literacy Trust and Bloomsbury Children’s Books Poetry Prize 2015
- ‘Cerne Abbas Giant’ was shorlisted for the Flash 500 Humour Verse Competition (Third Quarter 2014). (Adult poem)
- ‘Fully Booked’ was a finalist in a competition for the Larkin Festival in Hull and published in ‘Toad Tales’ by Wrecking Ball Press (2014)
- ‘Wig-a-noo’ was published in ‘50 Funny Poems for Children’ by Thynks Publications
- ‘Sarah’s Letter to Santa’ was published in ‘Christmas Poems’ by United Press
- Poetry has also been published on the blog of children’s poet Brian Moses and also Michelle Barnes.
- ‘My Pongy Longs’ was awarded 2nd place in the InternationalPlough Prize Poem for Children in 2010.
Suzanne was introduced to poetry at a young age and found inspiration in the poems and stories by Edward Lear, Dr. Seuss, C.S. Lewis and George MacDonald. As a fairly new poet on the block, she enjoys exploring different styles and writes in a variety of forms; the brevity of micropoetry, through to epic Hallow’een poems like ‘The Hungry Witch’s Brew’. She is a member of the Micro Poetry Society.
Suzanne keeps a small collection of unusual stones (they all have names) and finds that living at the seaside and wearing wellington boots, makes her feel very happy indeed.
If you would like to find out more, here are few other details from
Suzanne’s poetry adventures so far…
- Micro poem ‘Branch Lines’ selected for National Poetry Day 2016 by Family Arts Fest and National Archives UK (The official archive of the UK government)
- ‘Quilty Pleasure’ self published for Poem on Your Pillow Day 2016
- 1st place award – for ‘How To Throw An Insult With Shakespearean Style’ – for the Tweetspeak Poetry animated GIF competition 2015
- Poem ‘Siren’ published in the Ditty of the Month Club May 2015 –
on Michelle H Barnes’ blog – a word play challenge, set by author and poet Nikki Grimes.
- ‘Waiting for Slug’ and ‘Gargantuan’ selected by one of Britain’s favourite children’s poets Brian Moses and published on the New Poems for Children page on Brian’s blog.
- Phoetry ‘Made of Pillows’ and ‘Duvet Dancing’ self published on Twitter for the 2015 Poem On Your Pillow Day international event
adventure to be continued…